Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Giving back to the Community


Being on a tennis team isn't just about what you do on the court but what you do off of it as well. Our team strongly values giving back to the community with service to others.  One of the first events I encouraged the girls to get involved in was the Out of the Darkness Suicide Prevention walk.  

The campus was sponsoring the event and in previous years I had helped form a group to walk from our tennis team.  This past year I really wanted to get more people involved.  I organized a group called FSU athletes, in which all the athletes in Fredonia could walk together to raise money to prevent suicide.  It was rewarding to be able to have my team work together with all the other athletic teams on campus to help raise money for this cause.  

Later in the semester we all got together to help the women at the WCA assisted living home with writing their Christmas cards.  Coach always dresses up in a Santa hat and we all sat down to enjoy hot chocolate, cookies, and holiday music.  We really got a kick out of all the stories these women had about their lives.  For the past few years, I have helped a woman named Trixie with her cards.  Trixie is 100 years old and the spunkiest woman I have ever met.  The team shared so many laughs at this event and we really learned to be patient and understanding of others.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, you sound like you care about the community and how the athletes are viewed by the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I did not understand how to find comments on my blog. Yes, our team takes great pride in giving back to the community. It is easier for our team to take the time to give back to the community though, because we have a very short season. We are done with our season by late October, so we have plenty of time throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete