Saturday, January 24, 2009

I let my racquet do the talking...



It was the last match of the season.  The next week we would be heading off to Syracuse for our tournament, SUNYACs, against all the SUNY schools.  We did not have the best winning record and wanted to finish this season with a win.  The match was against Plattsburgh and all of our friends and family had come to cheer us on.

Our team joined in a circle holding hands, like we did before every match, and coach gave us an inspirational speech.  The girls then presented all the seniors, me included, with a rose and a speech.  It was such a special moment to look out at my team that had once been so divided and to see us as a family.  

After a few tears had been shed, we were all pumped up to win.  I had a gut wrenching match against a young sophomore from Plattsburgh.  I knew I had to win this match for my team and for myself.  The first set went by like a breeze and I won it 6-0.  I was confident and cocky, and did not expect my opponent to change her game. 

When I headed back onto the court for my second set, my opponent had changed up her game.  Soon she was running all over the court, and getting every ball I hit over the net that I thought was a winner.  It was frustrating and difficult to maintain my concentration.  Luckily, I was able to keep up my intensity and won that set in a tie breaker.  

The other senior girls all won as well and the team ended up with a win.  The day was a success and I had never been so proud of the girls!

4 comments:

  1. that's a good story, its almost like a story line for a dramatic ending in a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha thanks! I used to dabble a little in creative writing so I guess it just comes out in the way I write sometimes. It was a really dramatic day too though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post, its just a nice finish to a season. I played soccer all my life, and stopped after high school ended, I miss it terribly. I can only imagine what it's like as a senior in college.

    I also started playing tennis when I was in Georgia a few years ago, I try to go to the indoor courts in Buffalo in the winter but it's so expensive. I can't wait till spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is extremely hard being a senior on the team. I have played tennis all my life too, and although I know I will be able to play after college I will still miss the team atmosphere. It is very expensive to play indoors. I try to do other things similar to tennis at my campus in the off-season, such as racquet ball. It is a pretty good alternative until spring rolls around and I can hit the court again.

    ReplyDelete