Thursday, January 15, 2009

There is no 'I' in team



So the first week of practice began.  Let me tell you, that first day was so awkward! There were eight new girls trying out for the team.  We all acted so shy, and I immediately knew we needed an ice breaker.  

The next day, I brought in a bag full of different kinds of candy.  Attached to each piece of candy was a slip of paper with a question on it.  For instance, a Tootsie Roll had the the question, "Tell us three things you did this summer".  I had each girl pick three different kinds of candies.  We went around the circle and each girl had to share their answers. Within minutes we were all laughing and sharing stories.  I could immediately feel that awkwardness drifting away.  I learned so much about each girl in just a few short minutes.  

That second day of practice was a blast! We were all joking around and enjoying each other's company.  After practice ended, I arranged for us all to go on a hike.  We split the girls up into two cars.  Of course, me being the whiz I am at directions, got us lost!  We drove around for about an hour, but we did it with lots of laughs and  sing-a-longs to songs on my iPod. 

We finally arrived about an hour later than expected.  This hike turned out to be one of the best experiences.  Not only did we get some additional exercise, but we had to work as a team.  At one point, to get down to a waterfall, we had to use ropes to climb down.  Now, I know this was not a good idea because someone could have hurt themselves before the season, but the waterfalls are just so beautiful! So I encouraged the girls to work together and to help each other down the ropes.  The girls were all thrilled with the sight of the falls.  Trust me we took advantage of photo opts (later to be used for a gift for coach!).  

The team still talks about this first week and how much fun we had.  These early experiences really brought us together and was the foundation for our friendships that formed.

6 comments:

  1. Are you practicing indoors or out because it is soo cold right now. I did not know that sports started so early, when do your classes start ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you go on your hike? I'm always looking for a place to go hiking when I'm at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again sorry about the late response I was looking in the wrong place for comments on my blog. In response to Scott, our team plays outdoors. We had our season start in late August and it ended in late October so it got a little chilly, but not too bad. I am posting this blog to look back onto the season. I start my classes at the same time as all the other students, but our team come backs early to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is in response to lucky4charms. The hiking place is actually really only 15 minutes from Fredonia, it is called Arkwright Falls. It is privately owned, but there is a clear hiking trail for the public and I have never had a problem.

    Here are the directions to the place:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Fredonia&1s=NY&1z=14063&2c=Chautauqua&2s=NY&2pn=Arkwright+falls#a/maps/l:::Fredonia:NY:14063:US:42.4333:-79.3408:zip:Chautauqua+County:1/l:Arkwright+Falls::Cassadaga:NY::US:42.39228:-79.268654:address::1/m::10:42.423073:-79.305179:0:::::/io:1:::::f:EN:M:/e

    It does not give you an exact ending location, but the street you turn on is called Ball road, it will be on your right. It is a dirt road, and you go on it until your first left (it comes up quick). Just be ready for you and your car to get really dirty! It is super fun though so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a lot of fun being on a team! I would def do it if I had tennis skills. Does Wii tennis count as skill? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha its good practice! I keep up my skills with it on the off season. Maybe you could move your game to the real court sometime.

    ReplyDelete